Plas Celyn an attractive Victorian home in the traditional Welsh community of Trefriw is currently closed for Bed and Breakfast. Set in the beautiful Conwy Valley, close to the popular attractions of Betws-y-Coed , Llanrwst and the walled town of Conwy, Plas Celyn is a comfortable and welcoming base for our adventures in the heart of Snowdonia.
Plas Celyn was built in the 1840’s for the Gwydir Estate manager, and is an imposing stone-fronted early Victorian house. The estate was owned by the Wynn family, who lived at Gwydir Castle (just a short way along the road to Betws-y-Coed) and the estate extended for miles around. Today the castle is open to the public, and the estate now provides some wonderful walking trails in the Gwydir Forest.
The village of Trefriw has a long and interesting history; One of the courts of Llywelyn the Great (Llewelyn ap Iorwerth) was in Trefriw in the 13th Century. Llywelyn was one of the most powerful princes of Wales, whose ambition was to unite the realm. Later, in the 19th and early 20th Centuries, visitors arrived by steamer up the Conwy river to take the waters at the Trefriw Wells Roman spa (at the north end of the village) and many of the steamer captains lived here. Nowadays, we also have a water-powered working woollen mill to look round and you can visit the ‘Fairy Falls’ – a lovely hidden waterfall on the Crafnant river – follow one of the Trefriw Trails to see it, just a short distance from Plas Celyn.